Thursday, September 17, 2009

Update

I know that my latest posts have all been about this "cootie" that is attacking my son, so I thought I should update on how he is doing overall.

Randy really likes daycare. He is always happy to see Miss Kim when I drop him off in the mornings. He has four other babies in his class; he and another boy are 17 months; there is a 7 month old, a 10 month old, and a 2 year old. Randy and Michael will be moving to the toddler room soon. At daycare, they listen to nursery rhymes, go on stroller rides, and go to the gym to play. None of the babies are walking, but a couple of them are pulling up.

Playing with toys at daycare




Since being in daycare Randy has become really aggressive. He hits if you are taking things from him and he definitely has mastered the word "NO". He tells everyone bye-bye, and will say this to you if he wants you to leave him alone. He can clap his hands now and will start clapping them if he does something good. He also starts clapping them if you start singing.. "If you happy and you know it...." He is still army crawling and scooting on his bum to get around. He is finally tolerating a little weight bearing on his legs; but only for a few seconds.

He has been following up with the neurosurgeon's office since his shunt revision in June. There is an area that they are watching closely, the right temporal horn. It has been increasing since his revision. His last CT scan was Monday, and he has to get another one on October 1st. Let's pray that this area decreases slightly or stays stable. If not, Randy may be looking at a shunt revision.

His feeding has been slipping. For a while he was eating almost everything. Now he only wants a few meats: chicken nuggets, hot dogs, chicken breast, and MAYBE crumbled ground beef; no vegetables; no fruit; crackers; and dry cereal. He will still eat as much baby oatmeal and baby food that you can give him. I am not sure if this is because he has been battling the "cootie" or if he is being a picky toddler. I hope it is not a sensory thing. I want his eating to progress, not regress.

I am really tempted to give up the bottle. He is not interested in it very much. I just do not know how to get the volume of milk into him if I let go of the bottle. He only drinks about an ounce from the cup at a time. Who has the time to offer the cup every 30 minutes?

Lastly, he has a runny nose, cough, and fever again. He is finishing his antibiotic from the strep in his ear. The nurse says that this is probably viral instead of bacterial since he is currently on an antibiotic. Don't doctors always say it is viral?!



I have a runny nose, but can still clap my hands


I am hoping that his immune system strengthens for this upcoming winter. I hear that it is going to be bad with the flu.

No comments:

Post a Comment