I had seriously considered having him an "adjusted birthday party". But as time got closer, I decided against it. Now I know I have to adjust for medical reasons and to get a better estimate of where he should be developmentally, but I need to being to mourn the notion of when he should have been born and accept that he was born 3 months early. I feel that this is an important step in me stopping all the "what ifs" in my head. So instead of thinking if he had been born this day he would...
- be standing and/or walking
- not have hydrocephalus
- not have a shunt
- not be delayed
- ready to move to cow's milk
- drinking from a sippy cup
- drink more than 12 oz per day
- not have spent months in the hospital
- have good vision
- have good hearing
- not be "special needs"
I am focusing on his strengths. He is:
- able to sit, scoot, and pivot
- can say ma ma, da da, bye bye, hi, and la la
His prematurity affects who he is, but it does NOT define him.