Saturday, June 27, 2009

19!!

That is the number of ounces of formula Randy drank today. Randy has drank less than 13 oz per day since the beginning of May. I was worried. The feeding team was worried. His OT was worried. We tried every cup known to man; different ways to support his chin. Nothing was taking him over that 13 oz mark. And actually he was averaging only 10 oz.

Well since his revision last Friday, each day he has drank more milk. He drank 13 oz on Monday, 14 oz on Tuesday and Wednesday, 15 oz on Thursday and Friday, and today.....!!! Could it have been the shunt? Did he have pressure in his head that made drinking uncomfortable? I do not know. But if it was the shunt, then I know to pay attention to even the smallest changes. His neurosurgeon and I were puzzled why he was not acting sick. Maybe he was; it just was not as drastic as expected.

"The signs and symptoms of shunt malfunction, are the same as for hydrocephalus itself, headache, nausea, vomiting, irritability, change in behavior or intellectual performance, etc. "

I guess I was expecting more drastic symptoms from him. Now I know better.

No comments:

Post a Comment