Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Fun at the waterpark

We went to the water park and boy was it fun!! My teenager had been there years ago, and requested to go again. As always, I was a little apprehensive about taking Randy. I want to do "normal" family activities with him, but I don't know how to quiet the worry. I worry about him having a shunt malfunction. I worry about him catching a "bug" from someone. I worry about him being overstimulated.

Fortunately, we were not far from home. Actually we were closer to the neurosurgeon at the water park than we are when we are at home. So I did not have to worry what I would do if he got sick. Next I was worried about how Randy would handle all the people. His sensory issues are relatively mild and they have improved, but he still struggles around a lot of commotion and people. That is why we decided to skip a first birthday party. When he is in a stressful situation he whines and vomits and is generally cranky for the rest of the day and sometimes the next day. I hate to send him through things like that for my own enjoyment.

Well he did GREAT at the water park. He actually like the loud roar of the water falling around us. He looked around and played with us. He splashed around in the water and thought he could swim in the heated pool. He didn't even cry when the water got in his face. He only vomited twice, and I think it is because he swallowed a little water. It was so nice to do something with him that was not "therapy" related. Even during our play, i try to incorporate the things from therapy. But this weekend, we just splashed and played and said to heck with therapy!

So his first trip was successful. I have tentative plans for two more in the near future. The next one is in April for four days. This trip will be 12 hours from home. The next one is in June; destination unknown. So I pray for wisdom and the ability to discern between caution and irrational fear.

Mr. Randy in his first swim trunks


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you all had fun! It's awesome to hear that my little nephew/God Son is doing well and having fun. He looks so cute and big in his little swim trunks! He looks like he has grown an inch since we saw him two weeks ago! Hopefully soon we will get to have Randy for a couple of days, whenever your brother figures out when he wants his vacation. Love you-Becky-

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutiepie in his big shorts! :) I totally feel for you the anxiety of doing "normal" things--I am so glad it went so well for all of you! Kai has trouble with the stimuli of the grocery store, so way to go, Randy, for being so brave at a water park, no less!

    ReplyDelete