Saturday, March 28, 2009

Eating Woes......Fixed?

I am almost scared to type this entry in fear of jinxing our progress. I had been feeling down about Randy's poor eating. Well I talked about it to his OT and she suggested looking for a new nipple with a wider base. But before I did this, she wanted me to resume with thickening his feeds again. I used to make his feeds pretty thick with cereal to help his reflux. Since his reflux improved and he was eating baby food, I did not thicken them as much. Well she said that the thinner liquid could feel like it is choking him so he stops drinking to protect himself.

In addition to thickening his milk, I changed his meal schedule. I cut his bottles from 4 to 3 (he was barely drinking 3 anyway) and I spaced out his bottle and meals. I was following every meal with a bottle. This was how I was told to do when we first introduced foods. But now he takes a whole jar at a feeding, so he was just not hungry for his bottle. I moved him to a more "toddler like" schedule of 3 meals and 3 snacks (bottles). It is working wonderfully. He eats/drinks every 2.5 hours. He has drank 21 oz of milk for the last four days and I am too excited!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm glad to hear that he is doing well with his new eating schedule :).

    ReplyDelete