Saturday, April 24, 2010

I'm throwing in the towel

Well, sort of.  I am pulling back on feeding.  I am going to feed him, but I am not going to push so hard on him trying new food and/or textures.  I am not sure if it is the right thing, but I'm not sure if I can deal with this everyday.


This is how most meals looked when I was actively pushing textures and food.  He would cry; I would get frustrated.  He would be so angry and upset that he would not even eat his favorites after having the other foods pushed on him.  He would be so angry that he spent the rest of the evening crying and angry at me.  He was biting, hitting, and scratching.  He was not happy in the evenings.

Instead, I am going to begin pureeing again.  He will accept most foods if I puree them.  He'll eat chicken, roast, fish, and vegetables if I make them smooth.  I have been adding a little olive oil to make them smooth and to add a little healthy fat.

I'm also keeping him on the bottle.  I am going to encourage the cup use during the day, but I will still be giving him a morning and evening bottle of formula.  I can get him to drink 8-10 ounces this way.

This will not please some of his health care professionals.  His pediatrician and the feeding team are in my corner.  His feeding OT (who is out until June) and the CP clinic want me to push him.

I'm not ready.  And I'm ok with not being ready.  So until then, this is what he'll be doing



No comments:

Post a Comment